Tuesday 25 August 2009

Miss Cynicism

When you’re single you become slightly cynical about love, ‘The One’ and anything to do with romance.

You question why anybody would travel half way across the world to see their boyfriend, give up a perfectly good Saturday night ‘out’ to spend it ‘in’ all cuddled up with a man, and argue with them until you’re blue in the face, about something so insignificant you’ve forgotten the point of the argument by the time it finishes.

So when you see moments of true love before your very eyes it reminds you why you’re holding out for Mr Right. Walking through St Pancras the other day I saw a girl run through the Eurostar arrivals and leap into the arms of her man. Of course my heart melted when I saw the look of love in both their eyes, a smile quickly spread across my face and warm fuzzy feelings appeared from nowhere, but then just as quickly a pang of jealously popped up and made me think - ‘why couldn’t I be that girl?’

Being single used to fill me with dread - what would I do on Valentines Day? Who would I go on holiday with? I even hung onto boyfriends who I knew weren’t my forever guys just because I couldn’t face being single. However, now it’s a reality I love the freedom attached to my single status.

But when you see genuine acts of love right before your very eyes it makes you miss being in a relationship and everything which comes with it. So is it possible to be a romantic at heart but still cynical about love and its many complications?

I’m a total sucker for romantic films, from Danny and Sandy swooning “You’re the one that I want” to Mr Swayze declaring those famous words, “Nobody puts baby in the corner” - I would happily give up my love life for one in the movies. But we all know that’s about as realistic as a man offering to do the washing up – right?

Even if a relationship starts with a dreamy love affair I know that most guys get comfortable after about 6 months and think that making rude noises in front of you is a perfectly acceptable form of communication.

So lately I have found myself criticising complete strangers – just because they’re attached. The couple walking past me holding hands will undoubtedly break up in a matter of months. The girl who is looking adoringly at her boyfriend will find out that the sod has not only cheated on her, but with her best friend. And what about those who share with us their PDA’s? Yep they're probably having an affair!

And every time I go on a date my cynical frame of mind appears from nowhere. Instead of listing all their good qualities I am mentally noting why they’re not quite boyfriend material. Take Mr Italian stallion who I enjoyed a couple of drinks with recently. Under normal circumstances I may have given him a chance – but when Miss Cynicism rears her ugly head its hard not to judge someone.

First were the shoes – beige timberland boots?! Then the East End accent that I don’t remember from our first encounter. And did I sense some commitment issues there? Or possibly a little bit of arrogance? And the real deal breaker – “I don’t really drink much alcohol,” he said, as I was drowning in a sea of wine and keeping the bar afloat with my alcholic purchases. I mean, a girl needs to have a drinking partner in a man – if nothing else!

And it’s not just the Italian which has been cursed by the hand of my cynicism. There is always something which isn’t quite ‘boyfriend’ material for me – the way he wears his shirt, his whistling, his sense of humour (or lack of it!), the love (for himself!) and the list rolls on until I’m back to square one.

It’s not as though I’m after perfection – I think I’ve been there and we all know how that story ended. Maybe I’m just not in the ‘relationship phase’ of my life at the moment. I’m finding other parts of my life that make me smile so why do I need a man when I’m smiling without one?

I suppose my time will come when I meet that certain guy who just blows me away. Those little things that annoy me will be accepted. Maybe he’ll challenge me, impress me or just leave me wanting more. Arguments will be solved and I may even get some of those ‘movie moments’ I’m holding out for. Maybe I’ll even find myself running into the arms of my true love at St Pancras station one day.

But until that day comes I’m going to try and keep Miss Cynicism at bay, avoid ‘movie embraces’ at London train stations and most importantly enjoy being young, free and 100% single!

6 comments:

  1. Everything you write I have thought or think at some point lately! I hate that I am an old cynic now and constantly try not to be tarnished by life lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I think you benefit the most, as a person, from being single. Learning to be comfortable with yourself is possibly one of the best things you can do for yourself and future relationships. I think insecurity wreaks havoc in a relationship. I've seen so many people so very unhappy due to insecurities so just think if you can enjoy yourself being single and take the time to learn to like yourself, you'll do much better in your future relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see in you what I went through at the beginning stages of being single, when you are getting to grips with 'being yourself'. You won't feel cynical forever, that cynism is how you interpret others' relationships as a result of what has happened with yours. As you become more and more removed from relationships (assuming that's what happens!) your own personal reactions fade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've become so blah about the whole thing that I've not bothered blogging for days! I just don't see the point sometimes in going on dates with a guy when I know, for a fact, there is no way he will be meeting my friends and family... or ever getting into my bed! And I don't call it cynicism, I call it realism!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is better than therapy! Thank you so much for your comments and I totally agree with them all - think I am coming to terms with being on my own and realising that I love it but the cynical part still creeps in because of past experiences. Think I am going to enjoy exploring life on my own and finding out who I am when I am not part of a pair! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. a wise man once said..

    Have fun. Stay Single.

    that man is, sometimes, me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin